I already know of websites that will help with these task but I haven’t personally got a chance to use them until last week.
The website that I was using is flightaware.com (<—click link)
I was so impressed with this website because it can give you the details of the flight that you are monitoring. This is in real-time. You can even do this on your mobile device.
The interface is so simple. On the main webpage, just type in name of the airline and flight number and click the blue track button. You can also type in the flight origin and destination as an alternative way of searching.
This will bring you to the next page which is the awesome part of this website. In this page, you can view a lot of details about the flight that you are tracking. (In my case its Ethiopian Airlines flight 618).
- You can see from which airport the flight originated and from what terminal the passengers boarded.
- You can see the estimated time of departure and arrival.
- You can see the duration of the flight, how long it had been on the air and how much time is left before it will arrive the destination.
- You can see what type of airplane, the 7 day average time of departure for this flight and so much more details.
- You can even send a link to an email about the flight.
- Lastly, you can see in the map the approximate location of the airplane and the flight path.
It automatically refreshes so that you can get the real-time details of the flight. The small airplane moves in the map and the time remaining and duration is updated. I used this to tell my son that her mom is just 2 hours away from Bangkok and showed him the location of the airplane in the map.
I find this website very useful specially when you are tracking long flights and want to know the status of the flight with minimal effort.
With this website, tracking the progress of the flight that you are monitoring need not be a burden anymore.
Check it out.